February 29, 2016

Pride, Work, and Necessity of Side Projects: Elise Metzger of Filigree Suppers



What are you working on—on the side?

My side project is a pop-up supper club series called Filigree Suppers. We host monthly events in rotating cities, mainly Chicago and New York City. Our aim is to bridge inspiring design and delicious food under a common theme. In our first year, we have worked with over 100 small businesses whose goods are primarily handmade, and made in the U.S.

How do you manage to work on your side project(s)?

I started it with my long-time friend and creative collaborator, Brita Olsen, who lives in New York City. This is both of our side project, so we are able to be sympathetic to each other’s varying workloads, and pick up the slack when the other person is super busy. Personally, I set aside a few hours every few evenings, and pick a day each weekend to work on Filigree. It’s definitely a lot of work, but I also know that the more I put into it, the more I get out of it. The trick (which I am still balancing) is to take breaks before I burnout. In the short-term, I may get less done, but it gives the project new energy once I pick up speed again!


Photograph by Tory Williams

Why have a side project?

As a creative person, it’s really difficult to feel well-rounded in just one role. There are really rewarding aspects of my day job that I might not find in a side project. Conversely, I am able to use my side project to work on skills, ideas and executions that are not part of my day job. Having a side project helps to fill the gaps in my creative needs. I also get to meet so many amazing and talented people I might not have the opportunity to meet otherwise!

• • •

Diptych courtesy of Carolina Mariana Rodriguez.

• • •

Read more about the joy of side projects.


Please consider supporting Design Feast
If you liked this lovingly-made interview, show your appreciation by helping to support my labor of love—Design Feast, which proudly includes this blog. Learn more.