February 3, 2015

Blogger’s Quest(ionnaire): Megan Johnson of TipsyWriter


Megan Johnson is a digital marketer, in addition to being a champion of inspiration, naps, and today. Here, Johnson shares her thoughts about blogging at TipsyWriter, where she focuses on topics related to well-being: productivity (including life hacking), relationships, and professionalism. She can be found on Twitter: @tipsy_writer

Why did you create a Website of regular entries? 
When I started TipsyWriter, I really just wanted to create a place where people could feel like they could go for tips or advice for the things that people worry about most in life. However, the more and more I put into the site, the more a community began to form. Now, it’s a place where I feel like people can go when they need help, want to chat, hang out, or find their new best friend. It’s a beautiful thing.

What Web-based solution did you select and why?
I use WordPress, personally. There are going to be pros and cons to any solution, but I find that WordPress is, while maybe not the easiest to use, the best option when it comes to really customizing what you want your user experience to be like. And let’s face it, it’s all about having a clean UX.

What is your definition of a good blog 
and what are three good blogs that you frequently visit?
I think a good blog is engaging, authentic, and interesting in voice. If you don’t have a voice, I’m not going to come back. I don’t have three blogs that really stand out to me, as I tend to skip around to whatever’s being shared at the moment. I would say though that the thing that will keep me on a Website is a clean, user-friendly design. If I don’t know where to go next, I can at least get to “Close” the tab.

How do you create content for your blog?
I’d love to say that I sit down once a week and bang out all my articles for the week, but sometimes I’m writing an article in two hours before it’s set to go live. I guess what I’m trying to say is that sometimes creativity comes from not having a set-in-stone method for these things.

How do you stay organized 
and motivated to contribute to your blog?
I keep a calendar of posts that are set to be published on my desk, but I’d say my number one tool is Evernote. I keep any ideas, works in progress, or inspiration, in a physical notebook that I can look to if I’m ever in need of inspiration. I’ve tried to go entirely digital before, and it just hasn’t worked for me. I still do some of my organizing on my computer and other things in a notebook. I say do what feels best for you, because that’s what’s going to benefit you the most.

For those aspiring to make a Website composed of 
regular thoughts and/or images, what is your advice?
Start. It’s as simple as that. You can sit there thinking about it forever, but it’s never going to materialize until you make it happen. The internet is happening fast, so if you want to get involved, there’s no better time than right now, or even ten minutes ago. If you’re waiting for a perfect time, you may be waiting forever. You’re better off putting yourself out there and deciding it’s not for you, than waiting around and really missing out on a great opportunity.

What is your quest in blogging?
My quest is constantly changing. I want to help people. I want to take part in the creative world. I want to harness this community and see what good can come of it. And in a year, who knows what I’ll be doing. But the one thing that is constant is that each day I set out and do the most that I can. If I am doing that, I can at least rest easy knowing that I put myself out there. And hopefully I’ve helped someone along the way.

• • •

Photograph courtesy of Megan Johnson.

• • •

Read more of the Design Feast series Blogger’s Quest(ionnaire).


Please consider supporting Design Feast
If you liked this lovingly-made interview, show your appreciation by helping to support my labor of love—Design Feast, which proudly includes this blog. Learn more.